Thursday, October 10, 2013

SHE SAID - How To Know When To Buy (Part II)

First off, if you haven't read Part I of this topic, I definitely recommend you do!  Now, on to more ways that I talk myself out of (and in to) purchasing things!

I mentioned in Part I that I stalk the product.  It's true - I try to not do impulse buys.  Part of my stalking strategy includes watching YouTube reviews/tutorials of the product.  One tip when doing this is to watch reviews done by girls who match your hair color/skin tone if possible.  I realize this isn't always easy - but it'll help you get a better idea of what a particular color of any product will look like on you before purchasing.  This tactic definitely helps when purchasing drugstore makeup since they typically do not have tester items.  

For department store makeup, you have the luxury of testers at your fingertips!  You can swatch to your hearts desire to know instantly if you do/do not like a particular color of product.  At a makeup counter you can also have the workers test the products on you.  If you're not sold completely on a product while in the store, have them put it on you then wear it out of the store, away from the salesperson, out of the fluorescent lights, and in to your every day life to see if it really fits YOU.  You are the only person who can decide that, and sometimes you need to sit with it for awhile to know if you're sold on it.

Now let me tell you my biggest secret yet about buying...ok, so it's not a secret, but it may put a new perspective on your buying.  As I mentioned in Part I, Derek and I budget our spending money monthly.  I usually spend the largest chunk of this money on food, so with whats left over I really can't get much makeup.  SO.......I don't really buy makeup until I have an 'event' happening.  What does that mean?  Well, it means I hold out on buying makeup until it's my birthday, Christmas, or a vacation.  Yes, that's right, I just tell myself NO until I have an event.  Of course there are many items I wish I could by whenever - but I tell myself no now, so later I can tell myself yes (yep, that's a Dave Ramsey saying, hah).  Honestly, all of my 'high dollar' purchases have been during an event, or given as gifts, so the rest of the year I'm typically just buying small purchase items here and there (such as my two new gorgeous Maybelline lipsicks pictured in Part I).  

So now that you know my purchasing secrets, does it change how you'll shop for your makeup? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post a comment! We love to respond!...and they make us feel like we're doing something right, hah!