Sunday, September 8, 2013

SHE SAID - My Daily Makeup Routine

So it's 5:08AM on a week day - where are you?  Well, hopefully most of you are lucky enough to be sleeping.  But not Derek and I - that's our wake up time!  It's really not so bad once you get used to it, and I'm honestly a morning person, so it's pretty easy for me to wake up that early.  But what's not so easy is making myself look presentable at that time of morning!  So I stick to the basics makeup-wise throughout the week. 

Let me start off by saying the job I currently have is definitely not a job I need to look fancy for.  Most of my day is spent crawling/climbing/contorting around in a lab/office/hallway/closet floor looking for serial numbers on equipment.  Seriously.  Obviously I would look out of place in this line of work if I had makeup/hair to the nines every day since it would get disheveled very quickly.  So I don't.  I keep it pretty simple:
  • Bare Minerals face powder (been using it since 2005 and am still a fan)
  • Blush of choice
  • Concealer
  • Fill in my brows (most days)
  • Eyeliner
  • Mascara
  • White highlight for inner corner

Now, I do add a little flare almost every day....I make my eyeliner winged.  Sounds fancy right?  That's my little bit of extra primping I allow myself in this position.  It's super quick and easy to do, so it doesn't add much time to my morning routine.  And honestly, I feel most confident when I have on winged eyeliner.  (The italics and bold font are totally necessary). 

I know I could wake up a few minutes earlier and do nicer eyeshadow or attempt to contour daily...but I like to save that up to do on the weekends when I feel I actually have time to 'play' in makeup, because Lord knows I'm NOT waking up any earlier that 5:08 on the week days.  

The video below explains exactly how I wing my liner!  It's easy!



4 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel, first video I've watched and enjoyed it even though I would never do the winged eyeliner. I'd love to know more about applying mascara...especially for us women who are older and thinning lashes....maybe in your expertise you can find some good info for me...I have always used a blue mascara but they are few and far between...Any help there would be great....Thanks and I'll be watching again! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debbie! You’re right that blue mascaras can be tricky to find – and it’s even harder to find a blue mascara that’ll actually DO SOMETHING to your lashes other than just paint them blue. My suggestion would be to layer your mascaras. First – find a ‘normal’ (as in not-blue) mascara that you like the formula of. Mascaras can be ‘volumizing’ or ‘lengthening’, or sometimes even both. You may have to shop around to try a few before you find your favorite – but anyways, figure out which normal mascara you prefer, THEN apply your blue mascara if blue is your go-to color. This way, the normal mascara will do the legwork of volumizing/lengthening, but you’ll get to stay with the color you’re most comfortable with. As for thinning lashes – again, figure out which you care most about – volume or length. Volumizing mascaras will help you plump up the lashes you do have and build thickness depending on how many coats you’re willing to apply. Lengthening mascaras will help accentuate length (obviously) of the lashes you have and help separate them which will sometimes help them look voluminous. In my opinion you honestly just have to try a few to figure out what works best for YOU because every mascara is different. I do find that bristle mascara wands (traditional mascara wands) tend to give more volume, while plastic/rubber mascara wands tend to separate and give more length.

      Delete
  2. Racy... please show us a contour video! :) I recently purchased urban decays contour kit and want YOU to teach me how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I def will!! I don't have that specific kit, but I do know a few spots to tackle specifically to contour! It'll be up in a few weeks prob!! Thank you so much for watching!!

      Delete

Feel free to post a comment! We love to respond!...and they make us feel like we're doing something right, hah!